The University of Maryland Connection
DISCOVER : Outstanding Research
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is commercializing breakthrough therapies, diagnostics and devices, fueling the creation of innovative start-up companies, and attracting industry leaders and entrepreneurs to its thriving downtown campus.
Founded in 1807 as the first public medical school in the nation and the founding institution of the University System of Maryland, University of Maryland, Baltimore is a fast-growing biomedical research center with nationally ranked professional schools of dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, social work, and an interdisciplinary graduate school.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is home to the prestigious Institute for Genome Sciences that is located in the BioPark and headed by preeminent genome scientist and microbiologist, Claire Fraser, Ph.D., and the Institute of Human Virology, headed by Robert Gallo, M.D., co-discoverer of the HIV virus.
- Urban campus set amidst a downtown redevelopment district and located within minutes of Baltimore’s magnificent Inner Harbor
- Three acute care hospitals:
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center (the world’s first trauma center)
- Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- $479.8 million in sponsored biomedical research in FY 2013
- $46 million in active industry-sponsored projects with more than 150 of the world’s leading pharmaceutical and bioscience companies
- Over 1,200 research faculty and clinicians available for collaborations
- Ranked fifth in the U.S. in research grant expenditures per faculty member
- 1,200 issued and pending patents
- 555 inventions over the last five years
- 144 active licenses
- 30 start-up companies developed with University of Maryland technology
Visit the Research@UM website to license University of Maryland technology or sponsor research.
|Clinical trials||Infectious diseases||Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative medicine|
|Drug development||Neuroscience||Vaccine development|
|Dentistry (DDS)||Graduate (PhD):|
|Medicine (MD)||Anatomy & Neurobiology||Oral Pathology|
|Nursing (BSN, MS)||Biomedical Sciences||Pharmaceutical Sciences|
|Public Health (MPH)||Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine||Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics|
|Social Work (MSW)||Gerontology||Pharmacy Administration|
|Human Genetics||Physical & Rehabilitation Science|
|Microbiology & Immunology||Physiology|
|Molecular & Cell Biology||Social Work|