News & Announcements
UM BioPark named Outstanding Research Park at AURP's 2017 International Conference
October 12, 2017
HUNTSVILLE, Ala., Oct. 12, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The Association of University Research Parks (AURP) today announced the recipients of the Awards of Excellence recognized during its 2017 International Conference hosted by Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, AL. Additionally, AURP announced the results of the election for its 2018 Board of Directors.
Award of Excellence Recipients:
- Outstanding Research Park – University of Maryland BioPark: Over the past 12 years, the University of Maryland BioPark has created a robust community of innovation while being an integral participant in the rejuvenation of West Baltimore. The park has generated over $400 million in capital investment.
- Emerging Research Park Award – The Nebraska Innovation Campus (NIC): NIC began construction on its campus in 2012 and currently holds over 380,000 square feet of office, laboratory, greenhouse, maker space and commercial space, attracting more than $148 million in private and public investments.
- Career Achievement Award – Brian Darmody, Associate Vice President of Corporate and Foundation Relations, University of Maryland: Having served for 20 years in leadership positions at local, state, national and international levels in the innovation and research communities, Mr. Darmody has continually been a proponent of the development of science and research parks, the promotion of communities of innovation, and the advancement of the public policies that support them.
- Leadership Award – David Johnston: As Canada's 28th Governor General, His Excellency David Johnston has a passion for and mission to create meaningful opportunities for the collaboration of industry, academia, and government for the betterment of the world.
- Developing Communities of Innovation Award – Cummings Research Park: With a long history of innovation and research, CRP has become known for both its economic and cultural impacts on the local and regional communities through the integration of mixed-use spaces with research and other work environments.
- Innovation Award – Paratus Diagnostics: Paratus Diagnostics partnered with its research park in an impactful way to develop a novel point-of-care product using targeted assays through other available technologies to provide rapid disease detection. This allowed it to close its Series A funding round successfully.
Click here to read the rest of the story via CISION PR Newswire.