The University of Maryland Connection
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is commercializing breakthrough therapies, diagnostics and devices, fueling the creation of innovative start-up companies, and attracting industry leaders and entrepreneurs to its thriving downtown campus.
Founded in 1807 as the first public medical school in the nation and the founding institution of the University System of Maryland, University of Maryland, Baltimore is a fast-growing biomedical research center with nationally ranked professional schools of dentistry, law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, social work, and an interdisciplinary graduate school.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is home to the prestigious Institute for Genome Sciences that is located in the BioPark and headed by preeminent genome scientist and microbiologist, Claire Fraser, Ph.D., and the Institute of Human Virology, headed by Robert Gallo, M.D., co-discoverer of the HIV virus.
- Urban campus set amidst a downtown redevelopment district and located within minutes of Baltimore’s magnificent Inner Harbor
- Three acute care hospitals:
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center (the world’s first trauma center)
- Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center
- $667.4 million in sponsored biomedical research in FY 2018
- $46 million in active industry-sponsored projects with more than 150 of the world’s leading pharmaceutical and bioscience companies
- Over 1,200 research faculty and clinicians available for collaborations
- Ranked fifth in the U.S. in research grant expenditures per faculty member
Visit the UM Ventures website to license University of Maryland technology or sponsor research.
Areas of Excellence
Life Science Professional Degrees
|Nursing (BSN, MS)||
|Social Work (MSW)||
Major Clinical Programs